A clause in the contract stated that any relics found should be given up to the Corporation so Mr. Richards at once took steps to look into the matter and the original finder on being questioned alarmingly promised to get the coin back. The purchaser would not give the coin up even though he was offered slightly more than the original 5 shillings and, when told this Mr. Richards also tried to buy it back but to no avail.
The intervention of the Police was sought and P.C. Popple obtained the coin on payment of the 5 shillings and it was handed over to Mr. Richards.
The coin itself was a Twopenny piece of George III dated 1797, and weighing two ounces, which was placed in the stonework of the old bridge by its erector. Besides the normal inscriptions on the coin the head side had been imprinted with the words " W. Brand, Collr. Cus. P.B." and "8th April , 1806." On the tail side were the words "T. Wilson, of Sunderland, erected this bridge". Round the edge was the following "First block placed 5th April, 1806"
The "W. Brand etc" was W. Brand, Collector of Customs, Port of Boston, the T. Wilson was the erector, but Rennie, the engineer was not mentioned on it.