In the 1830's Boston was described as the most flourishing market town and sea port in Lincolnshire. In 1831 it had 11,240 inhabitants, though thirty years earlier it had only 5,926.
Forty boats were were engaged in fishing for shrimps, soles, herrings, oysters, cockles, mussels, sprats etc., and it is stated that the shrimps were of superior quality and had a great reputation in London. The market for sheep and cattle was also in a thriving condition with as many as 30,000 sheep being penned at the May Fair.
At that time there were six steam corn mills and no less than eleven windmills in the Borough and all kept busy grinding corn.
A map of 1835, Vauxhall Gardens can be seen near Spilsby Road.
One of the most popular places of amusement was the Vauxhall Gardens, which were designed by Mr. Charles Cave, and opened to the public in 1815. They covered about two acres of ground with walks, and an elegant central saloon, sixty two feet long, on the sides of which were painted a view of Paris and a hunting scene. There was also a maze, copied from that at Hampton Court.
Boston Athenaeum was on the site of the present Marks and Spencers store.