Friday, 23 August 2013

Death on the Railway.

Below is just one of the many deaths that occured on the railways at Boston.

In 1907 a fatality occurred on the Great Northern Railway at Boston. The victim was a porter named Samuel Wilson, aged 30, who lived at No. 2, Bartol's Row, Brothertoft Road.

He had been on the staff as a porter since November 1902, and was doing temporary duty as an assistant shunter, and was piloting a goods train from the Sluice Bridge through the station.

Boston Railway Station in the early 1900's.

When it arrived at the West Street crossing he jumped off the engine, with the intention it was supposed, of giving some directions to the signalman. Unfortunately he stepped immediately in front of a light engine, which was being brought from the locomotive shed into the station by a driver named Gee. Poor Mr. Wilson was thrown along the line for a distance of five or six yards, and although Mr. Gee pulled the engine up with all possible haste, its wheels passed over Mr. Wilson's body. Inspector Kane, of the railway companies police, was at hand at the time, and he personally removed the body from beneath the engine. A doctor was sent for at once, but it was plain that nothing could be done for him. The upper portion of his skull had been taken off, and both legs were crushed, so that death must have been instantaneous. Several people who were standing at the crossing waiting for the gates to re-open, witnessed the occurence. The only explanation that could be guessed at was that Mr. Wilson forgot to look out before stepping from the footboard, or that the approaching train was obscured from view by steam from his own engine. The body was removed to the Eagle Hotel to await the Coroner's inquiry. He was a married man but had no children and was known among his friends as an extremely religious man. He was a member of the Railway Mission, and was familiarly known as "Salvation Sammy." Among the effects found in his coat pocket was a Bible, with his name on the flyleaf.
Below:  The Railway Mission Hall used to stand in Fydell Crescent, the site is now part of Marriott's Motors who thankfully saved this stone from it and placed it in their reception area.

No comments:

Post a Comment