The Corporation paid £630 for taking it down and building a new Buttercross (below) on its site to be used as a market for the sale of butter, cheese etc. The room above was the Assembly-room, a place for transacting public business, and holding public meetings. It was completed in 1732. The turret and clock, with the wind dial, were added in 1745.
This building was taken down in 1822 when the present Assembly Rooms were built.