116 High Street, Boston is a listed townhouse built in the early 18th century. It is built in red brick with limestone dressings and has many original internal features surviving. William Garfit (1700-81) founded Lincolnshire's first private bank in this building in 1754 and it remained in use until 1891 when the bank was moved into the market place. Since then it has been the 'Lincolnshire Diocesan Home for Fallen Women', a private house and the offices of various local businesses.
It began to fall into disrepair in the late 1980's and got in an extremely poor state, with main structural timbers affected with wet and dry rot and progressive decay to internal features such as panelling, fireplaces and flooring.
The gable end of the building was gradually detaching from the front elevation and there was a danger of imminent collapse. The rear yard was also disused and in need of regeneration.
Heritage Lincolnshire began to restore the building in 2008 and have raised over £1.5 million thanks to the generous support of English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Further funds are required to ensure that the building and site to the rear can be regenerated for a new use. The Trust aims to provide facilities which can be used by a charitable organisation who will provide public access to the building and deliver economic and social benefits for the local community.